Thank you to Calvert Masonry for an outstanding performance as a subcontractor for the terracotta masonry rain screen system at the George Washington University - Science and Engineering Hall. The building has been well received and this is in no small part due to the beautifully crafted terracotta system installed by Calvert. Throughout this project we experienced true professionalism and cooperation from Calvert's office and field staff making this complex skin project a success.– Steven Morken - Boston Properties
Calvert Masonry is widely known and respected in the Virginia, DC and Maryland Region for its ability to provide a wide ranging scope of services to any project. Our leadership teams bring multiple trade and general contracting experience to support our specialty trade groups.
Calvert's mast climbing scaffold equipment, with the largest inventory in the region. has been adapted and utilized on the most challenging building geometries and access-restricted sites. We implement extensive, upfront preconstruction planning procedures and mock-ups inclusive of owner, architects and all affected trades, to insure proper scheduling and sequence, and resolve detailing issues in advance of construction.
Whether your project is large or small, new construction or renovation, site restricted or open field, traditional masonry or complete building skin requirements, Calvert Masonry is uniquely qualified to service your project needs.
- Select masonry replacement to match
- Tuck pointing
- Masonry cleaning and stain removal
- Cast stone / limestone repairs and replacements
- New and replacement flashings
- Replicated ornamental components (e.g. GFRC)
With increased awareness of building thermal performance and mold resistance over the past ten (10+) years, air and moisture barriers for cavity and rain screen systems are more than ever a critical component of the building skin and require close coordination and sequencing to detail properly and maintain the project delivery schedule.
To meet these to include application of the latest air and moisture barrier systems, over sheathing and masonry/concrete substrates. Calvert is Air Barrier Association of America (ABBA) certified, as well as an approved installer for the Henry Company's range of barrier products. Our past experience includes:
- Metal and membrane flashing systems
- Liquid and sheet membrane barriers
- Cavity drainage components
- Integral drainage plane and weep (M.T.I.) systems
- Masonry caulking and sealants
A typical system will include exterior, weather resistant face material such as terra cotta, cast and natural stone, or metal and fiber cement panels, with air space and insulation between panels prevent driving rain from entering the cavity, yet allow air flow upward with the cavity to assist in keeping the cavity free of trapped moisture and heat.
Panels are locked into place with retaining clips and pressure gaskets, and the panel weight and wind load are transferred to the building structure by an engineered metal support system. Traditional masonry veneer with increase vent spaces are also being employed as rain screens. Calvert Masonry successfully installed over 11,000 terra cotta panels on a twin 8-story building in Washington, DC's Waterfront District.
- Wall and column cladding
- Ornamental (balustrades, capitals)
- Material distribution and set from the building floors/crane
- Alternate lightweight ornamental concrete
- Cast stone repair and restoration
- Architectural stone support systems and connections
- Concrete balcony and sidewalk repairs
- Demolition and structural supports
- Caulking and sealant replacement
- Leak investigations and repairs